Friday, August 29, 2008

Surgery for Little Mags

Maggie has had a clogged tear duct since birth. I am told that almost every baby is born with a clogged tear duct but that it goes away within the first 3 weeks. That was not the case for our little Mags. At 3 months it was still just as bad as ever. At 6 months it was still the same and then I was told that they can't do anything about it until they are at least 9 months old. So at her 9 month check up I was so excited to finally get something done about it. Our pediatrician recommended 2 eye doctors. He did go on to tell me that the first one was not very nice and the other one was much better but he only works down in Utah Valley once a week. I decided to go with the nicer doctor after talking to few different moms who had dealt with the mean doctor (I couldn't handle a mean doctor). It took us 3, yes 3 months to get in to see the nice eye doctor.

We went this past week and sure enough her eye still isn't cleared up so our next step is to have a minor surgery to unclog it. It kinda scares me just a little bit because they have to put her under and put a tube down her throat. The doctor says that if it hasn't cleared up by now it probably won't clear up on it's own and it's better to do the surgery now instead of when she is older. We also are going to look into having tubes put in her ears since she tends to ear infections sooooo often. The eye doctor suggested that it might be a good idea to do it all at once, that way they only have to put her out once and it will cost us less (which sounds good to me). So her surgery is scheduled for October 8th.

It will be so nice to not have gunk in her eye all the time or to have tears running down her face anymore, and then maybe I will stop getting comments about how talented she is to only cry ONE tear!!!! Come on people get real who can only cry one tear?

6 comments:

Alli said...

oh yuck I am sorry. at least it will be taken care of soon! Poor little girl!!

Jenni said...

Poor Maggie. I would have chosen the nice doctor too. I didn't know every kid was born with a clogged ear duct.

Memmott Family said...

poor maggie. I would hate fir my kids to have surgery
Liz

S Tippetts said...

I'm glad to hear that you got a date for the surgery. I know that everything will go well.

gnomeswife77 said...

We'll keep her in our prayers. Glad it will be over soon for you. luv ya hun.

Jon said...

Little Ethan just had this same surgery in April and we are sooooo glad!! No more goopy eye! He was a little cranky the first day but pretty much himself the day after. It'll be 6 months in October and time to get it taken out. Katelyn had the ear tubes thing and what a blessing that was as well. She went from 2 - 3 infections every month to maybe 1 since the surgery...which was almost 2 years ago! Good luck with everything!