Thursday, February 23, 2012

Sisters....friend or foe?

So yesterday while driving and looking in the rear view mirror at my kiddos I noticed that Sweets hair looked a little funny in the front. I just thought that it was combed the wrong way and left it at that. Throughout the day as I looked at her I kept thinking that there was something off with her hair. Later at night while I was getting Sweets ready for bed I took a good look and realized that yes something was off....it had been cut in the front, underneath. Immediately I called for Sassafrass to come in.

Here is our conversation:
Sassafrass: What mom?
Me: I have a question for you and I want you to tell me the truth no matter what, ok?
Sassafrass: ok (she looked worried)
Me: Did you cut your sister's hair?
Sassafrass: Yes, but it was an accident.
Me: Ummmm.....cutting someones hair is never just an accident. Why did you do it?
Sassafrass: I don't know.....I just did it.

She has now lost all privileges of scissor cutting for a while. I was mad. It really isn't that bad. She cut the top front underneath. It's not really noticeable but it still makes me mad. I really don't know why she did it. Maybe it's because she's seen me cut hair or maybe it's just out of pure rebellion?? Don't know but I do know that she's not all that nice to Sweets so maybe it was just out pure meanness.

I totally get that. My sister and I are just about 2 1/2 years apart (me being older) and we didn't really get along until we were adults, married, and started having kids. Now she is one of my best friends so I have hope for my girls to be best buds someday. But back in the day I was pretty mean to my sister. We would play house and she ALWAYS had to be the maid or the poor neighbor girl while I got to be the rich girl. And of course there was the time when we were suppose to be cleaning our room and I stabbed her in the back with a pencil because she wouldn't put her Cabbage Patch Doll where I wanted her to. Oh and here's a good one....when we were pretty young I use to make her bite me just so she would get in trouble. Yes I was that mean, I feel horrible now but we've made up and can laugh at it all and I'm glad we are good friends now.

I hope my daughters get along and end up being best friends but until then I guess I will just have to deal with one being mean to the other.

4 comments:

H Fletcher said...

I hope for the same things for my girls. I think you're a pretty great sister now, but back then you were AWFUL!! But at least I can understand my girls now. Sorry about the hair. You never did that to me!

Jessica said...

Oh wow, stabbing with a pencil. I hope my boys never do that. Sisterly love!!!

Rach said...

That is hilarious....not the cutting hair part. Yikes. And I'm glad it wasn't a lot worse....oh boy would I be ticked. : )

Happy Harrison said...

It could be worse. Good luck...that's all I've got to say. :)