Ahhhhhh Memorial Day. I always just thought it was just a day off of school and a day to have BBQ's and swim parties. Apparently I was wrong. I guess going to cemeteries and visiting the headstones of passed family members is what you do on this holiday. I never knew this. Growing up my family did not do this and I NEVER knew anyone else to do this until I moved here to Utah 14 1/2 years ago. When I first heard about people congregating at cemeteries I thought it was the weirdest thing EVER....I still think it's a little weird since I always believed that Memorial Day was to remember those who died in a war but I guess maybe it's suppose to be a day to remember anyone who has passed away....well I think that's what people around here think. Walking around on top of dead people kinda freaks me out. if you were to drive around here the day after Memorial Day you would think that the cemeteries were flowers shops....seriously there are so many flowers out, it's kinda unreal.
When Jared's Grandma was alive she would go to a whole bunch of cemeteries for Memorial Day and put flowers on the headstones of family members. We went with her a few times. It usually was an ALL DAY outing. We would caravan around south-ish eastern Utah to little tiny towns(places I had never even heard of) and hear stories about his grandma and her relatives. Last Spring Grandma passed away so in memory of her we packed up the kids, Fennie and Ashlin and headed on down to Salina, Utah to put flowers on her and grandpa's graves. We met Jessica down there but we kinda accidentally took the loooong way and made Jess sit around an wait for us for awhile. The weather was horrible but in the end we were all glad we went.
2 comments:
sounds like you had fun!!! What a lovely place to have a family picture.
I had to laugh when I read that this is the first family picture since baby "C" was born. One to go down in the record books!
Post a Comment