Wednesday, December 8, 2010

I'm Throwing in the Towel

with breast feeding that is

You would think that this being my third child and all that it would be so easy...well it hasn't been.

Most people I know quit breast feeding early on because they just don't have a good milk supply, their milk just doesn't come in. For me I have the opposite problem, I have way too much milk which has a whole other set of problems.

Things were going great in the beginning then they got worse, then it got a little better and I thought "Ok I can do this", then it went back to being bad. I have been torn over the last few weeks as to what to do.

I so badly didn't want to give up the bonding that goes on between a mom and her baby. I didn't want to give up the the fact that when you breast feed the baby needs you and only you.

But Baby C just isn't happy. She's super cranky all the time. She never relaxes and we have to hold ALL THE TIME because she is so gassy and uncomfortable. She can't seem to burp good either and when she does, she spits up everything she just ate and it goes everywhere (it even comes out her nose). I've tried everything possible to fix the problem that I know....watch what I eat, let some of the milk out before hand, Gripe Water, and she is even on Prevacid (from her Dr.) to help with the spitting up but NOTHING seems to be working. She chokes while eating all the time. She never falls asleep while eating because the milk just comes out to fast and she can't relax. Since she doesn't fall asleep while eating and the breast milk makes her gassy it takes forever to get her to fall asleep and then it usually doesn't last long. We need sleep...both of us!!I could go on and on about how bad it is going but I won't.

I've weighed both sides of this problem and decided that breast feeding has got to go. She does so much better with formula from the bottle. She isn't uncomfortable, she burps great with out spitting up everywhere, and she sleeps better.

I think for everyone involved (me, baby c, and the rest of my family) going to bottle feeding is for the best. I've realized that we could still bond during her feedings and she will always need me whether I breast feed her or not.

Now if I can just get my milk to dry up

4 comments:

Happy Harrison said...

I think you're wonderful. I totally believe that mommies know what's best for them and their babies. I think if you stuck it out, it would probably get better, (not really speaking from experience in the breast feeding front, but I've had a bunch of friends that have expressed similar difficulties) but sometimes the sticking-it-out-until-it-gets-better, isn't worth all that problems it creates along the way, and I totally get that.
And like I've said before, it's all about the sleep. You HAVE to sleep, and if this in interfering with sleep in a big way, ditch it. And like you said, Baby c will be happier which will make you happier which will make everyone in your home happier.
Good luck. :)

Sadie Lady said...

Tough decision. You have to do what is right for both of you. No else can make that decision.

Jennifer said...

Sounds like you are being a great mommy to that baby girl! Mommies know best and it sounds like a good decision for the both of you, good luck!

Nancy said...

Oh, dear! I wish I would have read this sooner! I would have had a few tricks for you to try to regulate your supply--BLOCK FEEDINGS.

I struggle with oversupply, too, and both my girls got the gassy grossness (green poopies when they should be yellow, etc). They get too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk and are just miserable and hungry all the time (because they only get foremilk). Anywho...I tried block feedings with Meme and it helped sooo much.

That said, whatever works to help keep you and baby happy! :) She's a real cutie!