Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Maggie's Surgery

This morning Jared, Maggie and myself headed up to Primary Children Hospital for Maggie's eye surgery. Since birth Maggie has had a clogged tear duct. According to her eye doctor it is a very common thing but they usually grow out of it with in a few weeks to a few months. Well Maggie's eye never cleared up and she is always constantly having a tear or two run down her face. It is quite funny at the remarks strangers give.....a lot of people ask how she cries just one tear or comment about how happy she is for crying. Well after today Maggie will no longer a perma-tear.

Maggie was very happy this morning until they needed to take her vital signs and she was not happy about them trying to take her blood pressure or oxygen. She was screaming so loud that the people in the waiting room could hear her and later asked us what they were doing to her to make scream. She was all cute in her lovely hospital jammies. The anatheseologist(sp?) came to get her and took her away in a wagon. She thought she was so cool riding in a wagon but little did she know what was really going to happen. We were not allowed to be with her so we said our good-byes and went to the waiting room. We were told that the whole procedure would only take about 30 minutes. So in the waiting room we waited. After sitting down the desk nurse lady came over to me and proceeded to tell me that she just a call from the nurse in the operating room and that Maggie was doing OK and that they made the first incision and that the doctor would be out at 10:30 to let us know how everything went. I looked at her a little funny and said OK. I started to freak out a little......Maggie's doctor didn't say anything about making an incision and that it would only take 30 minutes for her surgery...it was only 9:15 am, so she should be out of surgery by 9:45 am not 10:30am. I was very confused and Jared took a trip to the little boys room so he was not around hear all this. I became very panicked and wondered if they had her mixed up with someone else and took her to the wrong operating room. When the nurse desk lady came back I approached her and told her that my daughter was just having eye surgery and there should be no incisions. She then looked at her papers and then at my name tag (we had to wear name tags with Maggie's name on it) and apologized, there were 2 Maggie's and she got the last names mixed up. Talk about being down right scared that maybe they were doing a surgery in my little girl that didn't need to be done.

Well the surgery went well and when Mags woke up they came and got me so I could be with her. The nurse taking me back said that Mags was not doing too well. As soon as they opened the door I could hear her screaming. Then to my surprise she had blood all over her face. I almost wanted to cry. She reached out to me and I just held her and tried to console her. Since they had to put tube down her nose to her throat it caused some bleeding when they took it out, I was just not expecting her face to be bloody. They had to give her 2 doses of Morphine to calm her down but she eventually did and it was nice to snuggle with her since she never wants to do it. After about an hour and checking her to see that her vital signs were good and making sure she drank a few ounces of juice we were able to take our little girl home.

We were just glad that everything went OK!!! Oh and we are very glad we did this because her doctor said that her was very clogged and there was no way that it would have ever cleared up on it's own.

4 comments:

Alli said...

OH I am so glad that everything went good! What a scary thing though to hear a different story.. I would freak too! Glad that she was mixed up and not the doctor..

Shawndel96 said...

I read this with my heart in my throat. I am glad everything was ok and that it was worth it!!

Memmott Family said...

Glad she is ok, and I am will alli, glad it was the nurse mixed up not the doctor!
Liz

Juli said...

Oh, I'm glad she did alright! How had recovery been? I don't know how I'd do with your situation! I would have had to fight the urge to dropkick that nurse! All that stress for nothing! Anyway, I'm glad she's ok!