Friday, May 6, 2011

5k

I DID IT!!!!
I ran my first 5k.
I didn't even die and I wasn't the last one to cross the finish line.


I have wanted to run a 5k for a few years now and always found an excuse to NOT do it. This past January I decided that this was the year for me....I WAS going to to this.

I started slowly....running only a little and walking A LOT. Before I knew it I could go 2 whole miles without stopping. A few weeks ago I got an email about this 5K for Cinco De Mayo. If you ran in it you got 2 tickets to the Hale Center Theather. When I read that I was all over it. Then come to find out that the people running the race were from Scenic View Academy , a school for people with disabilities, mainly autism. I knew I had to run in this 5K to support this Academy since I have a few members in my family with autism.

I got my friend Allison to run it with me. We have been running together since January and wanted to eventually run a race together. We did it!!! After months of running we finally reached our goal. I will admit I had to stop about 5 times to catch my breath. It felt so good to cross that finish line and to have my family there cheering me on. I had a personal goal to finish the race in under 1 hour. I did that....my official time was 41:30. Now my new running goal is to beat that time.

What an amazing feeling that was to run past the finish line and to know that I DID IT!!!!

3 comments:

Jenni said...

Heather you are so awesome. I think it's so great that you did it and that you've been running since January. I wish I could be more motivated.
I just signed up for a run in springville the first Saturday in June. You should sign up too.

Jennifer said...

Congrats!! I ran I 5k a few years ago for the first time and it was so fun. Now I just need to get some good motivation like you and run another one.

Happy Harrison said...

Oh my goodness! That is so great. I once ran home from book club (in rose crest) and was sore for a week. Clay always teases me about it now. I think anyone that can run more than a block at a time is absolutely amazing!!!
Way to go!!!