Sunday, January 4, 2009

Sunbeams


Today was Ian's first Sunday being a Sunbeam. He was a little skeptical about this but in the end it turned out pretty good. Yesterday I told Ian that he was going to be a Sunbeam and he didn't seem to like the idea very much. Today as we were getting ready for church he told me he wasn't big enough yet to be a Sunbeam and that he just wanted to go to Nursery instead. Jared and I kept trying to reassure him that being a Sunbeam was great.

For the last 2 months Ian and his little friends had been going into to singing and sharing time to help adjust to the new experience and for some reason this hadn't helped him either. As most of you know Ian is SO not shy but after Sacrament Meeting today he started crying and said he didn't want to go but the MEAN parents that we are we made him go into Primary room. He did go and sit down by his friend Rachel, but he had his hands over his eyes. I sat with him for a few minutes to try reassure him that it was going to be okay. I even introduced him to one of his new teachers, Sister Banta who is VERY nice. He seemed to be okay so I left him sitting with his class....hands on eyes and all. Later I returned to Primary Room to drop off some RS Bulletins and noticed Ian was still sitting there quietly in his seat with his hands still over his eyes. I turned to a Primary counselor and asked if he was doing OK. She said he was being very reverent. I guess that was good...at least he sitting in his seat and not trying to run around!

After church was over Jared and the kids were waiting for me in the hall. Jared had picked Ian up from his class and told him about the picture he had colored in class and told him that people with no bodies live in the clouds and people with bodies live in houses. We thought that was cute and it made us laugh a little. I then saw one of his teachers in the hall and asked her if he ever took his hands off of his eyes. She said he did once they finally went to class and she also said that he was very well behaved in class. That is always nice to hear. What a silly little boy!

Oh and only 4 weeks until Maggie gets to go to Nursery.....we can hardly wait!!!

6 comments:

Alli said...

Sounds good! Glad he had a good time! always nice when the kids are in primary!

Yeah for Maggie going to Nursery! Crazy how fast they grow up!

Jenni said...

I still can't believe Ian is old enough to be a Sunbeam. It doesn't seem like it was that long ago that we saw him for the first time at the hospital with you. Sounds like being a sunbeam wasn't so bad for him.

And hurray for Maggie almost being in nursery.

Shanda said...

Im glad Ian survived his first day in sunbeams.We had (9) 4yr olds on Sunday I was a bit overwhelmed.

Happy Harrison said...

You're such a good parent!!!!

And, I didn't get a chance to tell you how cute you looked yesterday. (what with all the attention H~ demands-I'm sure you understand)

Rach said...

The people with no bodies is SO cute! What a way to explain it! I wish I had thought of that, since Mike and I teach Sunbeams in our ward. Ian is so darn cute...putting his hands over his eyes....."if I can't see it, it's not happening!!!" :) :)

Memmott Family said...

I love the advancements, but Jamen will not go to nursery! Best wishes to Maggie
Liz